There are many different types of macaroni and cheese today. It is very interesting that from the small beginnings of the original combination of elbow macaroni pasta and American or Cheddar cheese how much everyone has created their own version of this dish. Not only is there a variety of cheeses used, but also vegetables, spices, and even meats for a new flavor experience. For example you might want to use angel hair pasta and load it up with four cheeses such as mozzarella, Gouda, provolone, and Parmesan. By adding some pieces of cooked ham to it you have yourself one very tasty Italian macaroni and cheese treat. Maybe you like fettuccine noodles with feta cheese, mushrooms, and onions. There are so many things you can come up with. Some people even use risotto which is a type of rice instead of pasta. Interesting, isn’t it? Take a look at this recipe that was stumbled upon by using the ingredients available in the kitchen at the time. You will enjoy the tangy and smoky flavor of this dish.
Muenster Macaroni and Cheese
1 pound box Mostaccioli noodles
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sweet basil
4 ounces muenster cheese
4 slices of cooked bacon or one whole jar of real bacon bits
1.Boil Mostaccioli noodles in a medium or large pot for twenty minutes.
2. If you choose to fry bacon do so in a pan while pasta is cooking.
3. Once noodles are soft, turn off burner and drain water from pasta thoroughly either by putting a lid on top of the pot while pouring water into the sink or by pouring pasta into a strainer placed in dish-rack in sink. Afterwards put pasta in the pot back on the stove.
4. Put in butter or margarine, garlic powder, and sweet basil in the pasta and stir.
5. Crumble or shred muenster cheese onto pasta while still hot.
6. Break apart slices of bacon or pour in whole jar of real bacon bits and mix well again with a big spoon. Serves four people.
This is a great quick and easy dinner to make after work since it only takes thirty to forty minutes to make. It also has a gourmet taste to it without a gourmet price. Hope you and your family will enjoy.