A sweetish oyster sauce marinated chicken dish, which is my mother’s own creation and which is easy to prepare. It is a favorite with children, wonderfully delicious to eat on its own – finger-licking good!
2 chicken thighs (about 600g or 1 1/4 lbs)
1½ Tbsp oyster sauce
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
½ Tbsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp white pepper
¼ tsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic – mashed or minced finel
1. Cut chicken thighs to fairly large pieces.
2. Season with all the ingredients for 1 to 2 hrs in the refrigerator.
3. Heat up a heavy-based pan and put in the chicken, spreading out the pieces, preferably every piece touching the base of the pan. Pour in any extra seasoning sauce over the chicken.
4. Over low medium heat, cook chicken slowly till meat cooked and tender, and sauce almost dry – just enough to coat chicken pieces. Ready to serve.
(Serves 4 with rice and another dish & soup)
1. The chicken should taste sweet – not overly sweet but maybe a little more sweet than salty. So adjust the amount of sugar, oyster sauce and soy sauce accordingly as no two products are the same.
2. For a healthier dish, the chicken thighs may be de-skinned and the dish will turn out just as well.