English name : Stir-fried Golden Pumpkin with Dried Shrimps
Simplified Mandarin name : 金瓜虾米
Traditional Mandarin name : 金瓜蝦米
Mandarin Pin Yin : Jin1 Gua1 Xia2 Mi3
Cantonese name : 金瓜蝦米
Cantonese Pin Yin (Yale) : gam1 gwa1 ha1 mai5
900 g / 2 lbs golden pumpkin (whole, unskinned weight)
50 g / 2 oz dried shrimps
100 g / 3 oz meat (chicken or pork)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
3 thin slices ginger
3 Tbsp cooking oil
1 Cup water
1 tsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
½ tsp soy sauce
a dash of white pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
1. Slice pumpkin into slices according to its sections and cut off skin. Cut cross-sectionally & at a slight angle to 1 cm/0.4in thickness.
2. Wash and soak dried shrimps for 20 to 30 minutes until soft. Then drain on kitchen paper towel. Mash them a little if shrimps are big.
3. Slice chicken or pork thinly. Mix with marinating ingredients for at least 20 minutes.
4. Heat oil in wok over medium heat and fry dried shrimps. Put ginger in midway.
5. Push to side of wok or dish up. Fry garlic for a few seconds till aromatic but not brown, then add meat. Stir-fry meat briskly to separate pieces and till colour changes.
6. Add pumpkin slices and some water (approx. 1 cup), cover and let it simmer for 15 mins or until pumpkin is soft and water has reduced but not too dry.
7. Pour seasoning sauce over. Dish is ready when thoroughly mixed.