This is truly a wonderful Chinese cooking website. Have tried out cooking the sweet & sour pork and intends to try others. Got a recipe to share – a pork leg with peanuts stew which I love and which I learnt from a Chinese friend while in uni. Hope many will like it too.
Stewed Pork Leg with Peanuts
½ pork leg (front leg)
1 cup raw peanuts with skin
2 pieces of ginger
1 piece star anise
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1. Chop pork leg to bite-size pieces. (You can get the butcher or supermarket personnel to do this). Boil some water in a pot and scald the meat for a few seconds.
2. Wash peanuts, discarding impurities.
3. Heat up pot with a little oil. Put in ginger and star anise to stir-fry for a few seconds.
4. Add in meat and fry for a minute.
5. Add peanuts and seasoning ingredients. Put in water to cover meat. Add a few drops of dark soya sauce if you like a darker colored dish.
6. Stew with low heat until meat is tender to the bite.
Recipe contributed by Leo