Delicious, juicy Schezuan chicken is one of the best Chinese dishes out there, and happily is not too difficult to make! Serve this fantastic dish over rice (I prefer brown rice, but white and even jasmine works just as well) or noodles if you prefer. This dish is great as the entree of a multi-course Chinese meal. I like to start with homemade wonton soup and some salad with ginger dressing, then move on to this with an egg or spring roll, and then finish off with some tasty, crunchy fortune cookies!
SCHEZUAN CHICKEN RECIPE
1/4 cup vegetable oil (if you prefer, use the corresponding amount of coconut oil)
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 chicken breasts, boned,skinned,& cut into thin strips
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 cups julienne carrots
1 (6 ounce) package snow peas, thawed & drained
1 small onion sliced
1. Heat oil in a work/large skillet over high heat, then add the garlic and fresh ginger. Cook for 1 minute.
2. Add chicken and onion, then stir fry until the chicken is cooked through (turns white).
3. Combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar, cornstarch, ground ginger, and Tobasco sauce, then add to the skillet (along with carrots) and stir fry for 3 minutes.
4. Add the snow peas and cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Serve over brown, white, or jasmine rice, or serve over noodles. Add additional soy sauce if necessary. If desired, scrambled egg may also be added to the dish. Cook one or two eggs ahead of time, set them aside, and then add them for the last minute of cooking in the skillet after adding the snow peas.