India is a vast country, with many religions and cultures. So it goes without saying that the eating habits of Indians differ from region to region. Be it snacks, main course or desserts. Indians have a major weakness for sweet treats, generally speaking. There is a sweet dish for almost every occasion and festival. Traditional sweets in India are called ‘Mithai’. And a majority are prepared with milk or milk products.
Out of all the various types of sweet dishes ‘Kheer’ – Indian rice pudding is my favorite. For the simple reason that it is easy to prepare. It takes just a few ingredients, which are almost always available in every Indian kitchen. They are not hard to find in a regular supermarket either. Follow the recipe below and enjoy the Indian Rice Pudding.
Indian Rice Pudding Recipe:
2 tbsp Basmati rice
4 tbsp Sugar
500 ml Milk ( full fat)
2 tbsp Slivered Almonds
1 tsp rose water (optional)
1/2 tsp Cardamon powder
1. Wash and rinse the rice in water and soak for 10 minutes.
2. In a saucepan pour in the milk, add the cardamom powder and bring to boil. Simmer the flame and keep stirring.
3. Drain the rice and crush the grains slightly with a wooden spatula. Add to the simmering milk.Stir occasionally.
4. Cover and cook , till the rice is done. Add sugar and stir well until dissolved.
5. Add the rose water and turn off the heat.
6. Transfer in a glass pan and and bring it to room temperature before refrigerating.
7. Garnish with slivered almonds and serve cool.
This is a very simple dessert recipe and can be mastered easily. It is a good for health as it has no added fats and the sugar contend is also not much. The calcium from the milk and carbohydrate from the rice makes it nutritious and filling. This rice pudding stays for 2-3 days when refrigerated. It is a good substitute for breakfast cereals, which are processed.