Pickled onion slices are a wonderful addition to any relish tray and a tasty ingredient for cold pasta and potato salads. You can pickle them fresh from your garden or fresh from the grocery store. Add some colorful pepper slices to the canning jar and the end product will be as pretty as it is tasty.
2 pounds small white onions
2 small green bell peppers
2 small red bell peppers
2 small yellow bell peppers
¼ cup canning salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons mustard seed
3 cups cider vinegar
1. Wash all onions and peppers. Cut ends off onions and remove skin. Core and seed peppers.
2. Slice onions about ¼ inch thick. Do not separate layers.
3. Slice peppers into circles about ¼ inch thick.
4. Put onion and pepper slices into a pickle crock or deep glass bowl and cover with water. Add the salt. Allow to soak for about 2 hours. Drain the salt water from the onions and peppers and rinse.
5. Layer onions and peppers into hot, sterilized pint canning jars.
6. Add remaining ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
7. Ladle hot mixture into pint jars leaving ½ inch head space.
8. Process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Yields about 4 pints, but always have an extra pint jar ready!
If you want to make up just a small amount for a cookout or picnic, reduce the recipe and add all ingredients to a large saucepan. Cook for about 5 minutes then gently move to a large glass bowl. Once this has cooled enough, cover and store in your refrigerator. These must be made ahead to allow the onions and peppers to absorb the vinegar and spices.
Dice the peppers and onions and add to your favorite cold salad. Use as a topping for hamburgers or hotdogs, or serve on a pretty glass plate.