There is no doubt about it: there is no cocktail more popular than the martini and all its variants. You will be hard-pressed to go into any restaurant worth its salt and not see at least one signature martini, and it seems like bartenders and mixologists all over the world are constantly trying to come up with new ways to present the old classic. Most of these variants tend to include some kind of fruit flavor, and sweeter martinis are definitely on the rise in popularity for those nights out on the town or those cozy evenings in.
One such martini is called, quite appropriately, the Modern Martini. Featuring the flavor of perhaps the most popular fruit besides the acai berry – the pomegranate- this gorgeous and delicious martini is nice and potent, with just enough of the fruit flavor to provide the desired sweetness. Its rich flavor will make it a hit with those who prefer sweeter drinks, its beautiful color looks stunning in the glass, and it is quite simply the perfect drink to serve at a party or during the cocktail hour!
THE MODERN MARTINI COCKTAIL RECIPE
1 very ripe pomegranate
2 measures vodka or gin
Dash of sugar syrup
1. Ice a martini or cocktail glass. Set it aside to chill while preparing the drink.
2. Scoop out the flesh of the pomegranate with a spoon, then add it to a cocktail shaker. Lightly crush or muddle the pomegranate flesh.
3. Add ice cubes to the cocktail shaker.
4. Pour in the vodka or gin and add a dash of sugar syrup, then shake the mixture vigorously until it is well frosted.
5. Strain the drink from the cocktail shaker into the iced martini or cocktail glass. Serve and enjoy!