How to Cook for a Large Family: Broccoli Quiche.
I have found that cooking for a large family is not as easy as doubling the recipe, it just never turns out the same. So, I have come up with my own recipes. This Broccoli Quiche recipe is great for a large family for dinner or for a smaller family for dinner and leftovers.
My kids are young enough that we can get dinner and lunch for the next day with the leftovers, but I have a feeling in a few years this will be better served with a full breakfast. Either way, this is not your small, pie sized Quiche.
2 pie crusts
2, 12 Oz. Bags of Frozen Chopped Broccoli
2 Cups of Milk
3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
3 Tablespoons Flour
1-2 Teaspoons Salt (Optional to taste)
1/2 Pound Cheddar Cheese
A 13x9x2 Inch Casserole/Baking Dish
Medium Sized Mixing Bowl
Measuring Cups and Spoons
1. Preheat the Oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the 2 bags of frozen broccoli per instructions on the bag. I like to use the Steam bags and quickly heat them up in the microwave. Pour the cooked broccoli into a strainer and drain the broccoli well.
3. You can either buy dough for two 9 inch pie crusts and mix them together, or make a pie crust that is enough for two 9 inch crusts.
4. When preparing the dough to fit the shape of the baking dish, instead of starting with a round ball of dough, I shape it as a long loaf about the length of the casserole dish and roll outward in all directions until the dough is long enough and wide enough to fit into the dish.
5. Place the dough into the casserole dish and gently work it until it lines the whole dish. Make sure not to make the top too thin, so it doesn’t burn or get too crispy. Set aside.
6. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs and melted butter and mix well.
7. Add the flour and salt and mix well.
8. Gently stir in about 3/4 of the shredded cheese and set aside the remaining 1/4 portion.
9. Add the well drained broccoli to the bottom of the casserole dish lined with your pie crust and spread out evenly.
10. Pour your liquid mixture over the broccoli.
11. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 portion of cheese over the entire quiche.
12. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Cool for approximately 10 minutes and serve.