I love to cook, I especially love to bake, but having to constantly watch my weight and being diabetic it was pretty soul destroying to bake a delicious cake and then have to sit back and watch everyone else eat it!
One of my favourite cakes is carrot cake, and so I managed to come up with a carrot cake that is delicious in taste, looks good, is healthy but also low fat and sugar free.
This is a really easy cake to make, with no special culinary skills required, and all the family love it – a great way of getting fruit and vegetables into fussy kids, and a cake that you can serve without feeling guilty.
GUILT FREE, LOW FAT CARROT CAKE
200g bran flakes
2 egg whites
1/2 pint skimmed milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 heaped tsp baking powder
3 tablespoons artificial sweetener, more if you want it sweeter
250g grated carrot
8oz tinned pineapple in juice, drained
75g chopped walnuts
150g plain extra low fat soft cheese
Zest of an orange and a tablespoon of the juice
Sweetener to taste
Whole walnuts for decoration
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C
2. Line and grease a deep 8” cake tin.
3. Place the grated carrots in a blender and blend even smaller still, remove.
4. Add drained pineapple to blender, blend well.
5. Mix the porridge oats, the bran flakes and milk, leave to soak for ten minutes.
6. Add the pineapple, carrot, egg whites, walnuts, sweetener and the cinnamon to this mix, mix all together well.
7. Place the mixture in the prepared cake tin and level off top.
8. Bake for about one hour, until a skewer entered in the centre if the cake comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool
TO MAKE THE TOPPING
1 Beat the cheese well until soft and creamy
2. Add the orange zest and juice, mix well.
3. Taste and add sweetener to your taste, remember the topping is better with a little zing to it.
4. Garnish with walnut halves.
This cake keeps well in an airtight box or tin and is actually better the second day.
If you wanted to make this cake for a special occasion a pretty alternative for decoration is to make tiny carrots out of coloured marzipan – remember though if you are watching your weight or are diabetic, not to choose a slice with one of these decorations on!
I do hope that you enjoy it.