I just love a really good chilli, but I also try to cut down my consumption of red meat for health and weight reasons, consequently I came up with this chicken chilli that really hits the spot for fans of chilli or Mexican foods.
This is cooked for longer than is necessary to actually cook the chicken as this adds to the intensity of the flavour.
It is really best made 24 hours before you want to use it, that way the flavour and heat in the chilli reaches its peak. The addition of cocoa powder to this recipe gives the chilli a really authentic and deeply rich flavour.
I have used minced (ground) chicken in this recipe but minced (ground) turkey can also be used, this is usually less expensive than the chicken.
SUPER DUPER CHICKEN CHILI
Serves 4 people
500g minced (ground) chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
100ml chicken stock
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1red pepper, de-seeded and diced
1 x 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree (paste)
1 x 14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon plain flour
3 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 green chilli, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1.Heat oil in a large saucepan, add garlic and onions and cook until transparent but not brown.
2. Add the chicken, stir well and cook for five minutes.
3. Stir in the flour, mixing well and cook for a further minute
4. Mix in the stock, chilli, spices, jalapeno, pepper, tomatoes and tomato puree.
5. Simmer, stirring frequently for 1 hour, adding more water or stock if necessary.
6. Stir in the kidney beans and season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially cover the pot so the steam does not get trapped under the lid and drip down into the chilli making it watery.
7. Mix the cocoa powder to a paste with a drop of water, stir into the pan during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Serve the chilli with boiled rice and enjoy!