All meat eaters who are trying to lose weight should seriously consider replacing some of their meals with vegetarian ones as they are so healthy and low fat. One example of these meals is a delicious low fat vegetable curry that contains virtually no calories; it is perfect for anyone following the Weight Watcher plan as there are zero points in it. This recipe is also ideal as you can add any other vegetables that you may have in your vegetable rack or refrigerator and you can choose the strength of curry powder that suits your palate
I always puree some of this curry to make a lovely smooth curry sauce, by doing this you can manage to get fussy children to eat their vegetables without them knowing!
LOW FAT VEGETABLE CURRY
2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½ dice
2 large carrots, sliced
½ head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium, firm aubergine (eggplant), cut into 1-inch dice
1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced
1x 14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 large courgette (zucchini), diced
1 large onion, chopped
125g green beans, trimmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons curry powder of taste
1½ teaspoon ground coriander seeds
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon tomato puree (paste)
Pinch of cayenne pepper
300ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (garnish)
1. Heat a large heavy bottomed saucepan and toast the cumin seeds over a medium-high heat until they begin to pop.
2. Turn off the heat and add a little water, garlic and onion; cook until the onion is transparent.
3. Add the tomatoes and the tomato puree.
4. Stir with a fork and at the same time sprinkle in the curry powder, coriander, cinnamon, salt and cayenne. Bring to the boil.
5. Add the potatoes and prepared vegetables to the sauce and add the stock.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding more water or stock if needed.
7. Serve sprinkled with the coriander garnish.
Serve this really lovely curry with boiled rice for a really healthy, low fat and low calorie meal.